Call for Editor
The University of Nebraska Press (UNP) is seeking to appoint a new editor for Gettysburg Magazine to succeed the current editor, James S. Pula, Purdue University.
The person appointed will work with the current editor as assistant editor for one year following appointment to become familiarized with the process and will then assume the editorship. The editor is responsible for continuing the ongoing editorial success of the journal and enhancing the scholarly reputation of Gettysburg Magazine by publishing high quality materials. This position is available immediately.
About Gettysburg Magazine: Established in 1989, and acquired by UNP in 2013, Gettysburg Magazine publishes accessible and engaging works of original scholarship concerning the battle and campaign of Gettysburg. Serving a community comprised of both professional academics and independent scholars alike, the magazine showcases a broad array of historical and personal essays, as well as features considering primary documents and first-hand accounts from battle participants, art, and photography of and from the site.
- Responsible for overall success of the journal.
- Work on long-term strategy for the journal with a focus on maintaining and improving quality and implementing the strategy.
- Assist UNP with the appointment/replacement of editor and editorial board members.
- Define and determine the editorial policy and have the responsibility for the application of all editorial policy without limitation.
- Select, manage, and work with the editorial board with a view to expand the board to increase the reach of the journal.
- Coordinate with guest editors on production of special issues.
- Represent the journal at academic conferences and promotional activities, and promote the journal, when possible, with the support of UNP’s team.
- Solicit and encourage submissions.
- Manage the receipt and peer review of scholarly submissions, liaise with authors as needed.
- Responsible for the selection and revision of articles, including the final decision of what is included in each issue.
- Developmentally edit eachoriginal article that has been selected for inclusion in each issue.
- Ensure timely production of the journal by delivering copy to the publisher upon acceptance and according to agreed production schedules.
- Liaise and communicate with UNP’s journals team with regards to editorial, production, and marketing.
- Responsible for examining and approving copyediting and page proofs.
Qualification and Requirements:
- Experience as editor or assistant editor of a scholarly journal.
- Demonstrated expertise in the field.
- Proven ability to solicit the highest quality submissions.
- The ability to engage with those submitting papers to the journal and to provide timely responses and feedback to authors.
- The ability to work closely with and exercise leadership over the editorial board.
- Strong organizational skills.
- A willingness to work closely with UNP’s journals team.
Submitting Your Application:
If you would like to apply for the position of
(Download a PDF of this call)